Friday, April 6, 2012

I Ate his Ears on Monday

When I was a kid I remember reciting a poem about eating my chocolate Easter rabbit one day at a time. I wish I could remember it, so if you know it, let me know immediately! I've lost track of everything after the first line. But really what I want to cover is whether or not you should eat the chocolate Easter bunny.

Yes! Chocolate is good for you. It makes your blood vessels more flexible. Just like green tea and red wine, chocolate contains polyphenols, antioxidants that are great for the immune system and the heart. It also contains stearic acid, good for cholesterol. Chocolate has flavonoids which inhibit blood clots and artery blockages.

Make sure your chocolate bunny and eggs are the dark chocolate kind which are becoming more and more easy to find. The study participants in the most recent study which found that artery walls were more flexible with chocolate consumption, ate 3.5 oz. of dark chocolate (go for 65% cacao). Try to stay within the 3.5 oz. limit as well to avoid weight gain.

It also might be worth considering to buy only fair trade chocolate, although it is more difficult to find and less available. The chocolate industry is notorious for bad practices such as clearing, use of pesticides, utilizing child labor and other atrocities. Some brands that are available in most areas: Divine, Equal Exchange, and Dagoba.

No comments:

Post a Comment